Tallowood Baptist Church Virtual Prayerwalk 2021
Love God. Make Relationships. Make Disciples. Make an Impact.
Find Your Way. Together.
All this is for your benefit, so that the grace that is reaching more and more people
may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God.
Therefore we do not lose heart.
Though outwardly we are wasting away,
yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.
For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory
that far outweighs them all.
So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen,
since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:15-18, NIV
These prayer points can be used while walking the perimeter of the church, or from off-site. The prayer guide can be prayed individually, with a partner, or with a group.
Lord, hear our prayers!
1: Start in the Commons or the first floor of the West Tower
Parking Lot and Outreach Ministry:
“I was glad when they said to me, let us go into the house of the Lord.” Psalm 122:1
So often when we come to worship together, we bring our cars with us. As we get out of our cars, we come with anticipation. We gladly hunger and thirst for the presence of the Lord and the community of His people because God promises to satisfy our hunger and thirst with good things!
- Pray for the parking lot to be full of the cars of those who long for the Lord.
- Pray that God will fill the inhabitants of the cars with hunger and thirst for righteousness
- Pray that God who never runs out of love and grace will lavish His perfect love that casts out fear on all who come to worship with us.
2: First floor, West Tower
Prayer Room/Intercession Ministry:
“I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself as a ransom for all people.”
1 Timothy 2:1-6a
- Pray that God would develop and sustain in each intercessor the heart of a true servant that is so vital for this special ministry to be effective. May their hearts reflect the same servant attitude that was so exemplified in the life of Jesus Christ.
- Pray that Tallowood’s intercessors would put on the full armor of God as they pray.
- Pray that each intercessor would be led and guided by the Spirit of God and yielded to Him in thought, word and deed.
- Pray that the Holy Spirit would equip intercessors with wisdom and boldness as they intercede before the throne of God.
- Pray that God would raise up and equip more people to serve Him through the Intercessory Prayer Ministry.
3: Second floor, Reception Area Lobby
“If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you” James 1:5.
- Pray for our staff as we minister and as we care for our flock.
- Pray for wisdom and discernment as we walk through these unusual times and as we plan for doing ministry in a new way.
- Pray that we develop a clear strategy to accomplish Tallowood’s mission: to love God, make relationships, make disciples and make an impact.
Office Support Staff:
“And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him… Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Jesus Christ.” Colossians 3:17; 23, 24
- Pray for the Lord to help us order our work so that what we do will be a blessing for many in Christ.
- Pray to the God of work and rest and pleasure, to help us that what we do may be for us an offering rather than a burden. And for those we serve, may it be the help they need.
- Pray for the Lord to bless us with refreshing rest at the beginning of each week and with a joy-filled heart at the end of the week.
“With upright heart he shepherded them and guided them with his skillful hand.” Psalm 78:72
“Then I will give you shepherds after My own heart, who will lead you with knowledge and understanding.” Jeremiah 3:15
“…shepherd the flock of God that is among you, exercising oversight, not under compulsion, but willing, as God would have you… being examples to the flock.” 1 Peter 5:2-3
Grant our Pastor:
- Intimacy with God and fellowship with others
- Wisdom and courage
- Quiet time for study
- Rest and good health
- Strong marriage and family relationships
- Daily bread and living water so that he may serve and lead out of God’s sufficiency
“And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work.” 2 Corinthians 9:8
- New members find relationships in a Connect Group.
- More people engage in disciple making and discipleship relationships.
- Our members will live missionally.
- God’s continued provision for our budget needs.
- Wisdom in ministry programs in this season. Ability to pivot or adjust to meet needs of our church
Young Adult Ministry:
“They are your servants and your people, whom you redeemed by your great strength and your mighty hand. Lord, let your ear be attentive to the prayer of this your servant and to the prayer of your servants who delight in revering your name. Give your servant success today by granting him favor in the presence of this man.” – Nehemiah 1:10-11
- God would be heard by a new generation of leaders
- Our Kingdom Imagination would shape the way we see the world
- We express radical hospitality in our building, homes, and hearts
- Our Identity is who we are in Christ
- Broken people are mended by love from a community of believers
- Scripture reveals the way that the Lord loves His creation and how to better love the Lord
“Through Him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.” Romans 5:2-5
- Pray our faith will continue to grow into this grace in which we stand
- Pray as we rejoice in hope of the glory of God
- Pray our hearts be strengthened as we rejoice in our sufferings
- Pray that we know endurance produces character and character produces hope and hope does not put us to shame, through God’s Love
- Pray God’s Love fills our hearts through the Holy Spirit (Romans 5:2-5)
- Pray for unseen works to be many and touch those in need
- Pray our eyes are clear and focused on Jesus Christ in all ways
Stewardship and Giving:
“And He sat down opposite the treasury and watched the people putting money into the offering box. Many rich people put in large sums. And a poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which make a penny. And He called His disciples to Him and said to them, ‘Truly, I say to you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the offering box. For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on.’” Mark 12:41-44
- Pray that we will faithfully trust in God’s provision.
- Pray for those in lack, the widows, those dealing with health issues, and all the varied needs our people have.
- Pray for strength and wisdom for our leaders as they guide us, and for our continued support of them.
- Pray for wise, strategic, obedient stewardship of the resources God has entrusted to us.
Committee members and other ministry leaders:
“Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm.
Let nothing move you.
Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord,
because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.” 1 Corinthians 15:58
4: First floor, West Tower
“We will not hide these truths from our children; we will tell the next generation about the glorious deeds of the LORD, about his power and his mighty wonders.” Psalm 78:4
- Pray for the social, physical, emotional and spiritual needs of preschoolers in our church.
- Pray for parents to be the primary Faith Trainer in their home, to be encouraged to disciple their children as they learn about God.
- Pray that families will seek the Lord each day as they reflect Christ to all those around them.
- Pray for Preschool volunteers as they teach children about the love of Jesus!
Kid’s Ministry (1st-5th grades):
“Then He said to them, ‘Whoever welcomes this little child in My name welcomes Me; and whoever welcomes Me welcomes the One who sent me. For it is the one who is least among you all who is the greatest.’” Luke 9:48
- Pray for those children and families who have COVID19 or are quarantined.
- Pray that we can reach out and build or maintain relationships with all of our kids, those in person, on zoom, and those who we haven’t seen since the Pandemic.
- Pray for safety as we gather in person for Connect Groups and other kid’s programs.
- Pray that children will feel connected to our teachers and leaders at Tallowood. Pray they would attend Zoom or in person Connect Groups and would learn more about how Jesus loves them and how to follow Him.
- Pray for volunteer Kids Ministry leaders as they try to continue to teach and love these children.
- Pray for staff to have creativity to change ministry and adapt to this situation so we can continue to share Christ with children and families.
- Pray for our decisions on ministry going forward, as we try to decide the best way to plan for our spring and summer events.
- Pray that we will be successful with Bible Drill in these challenging conditions so that children can memorize God’s word through this highly effective program.
- Pray for school situations for children. Both in person and virtual school situations are challenging.
Special Needs Ministry (Treasures):
“On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable.”
1 Corinthians 12:22
- Pray for the anxiety of our members with special needs. Some have increased anxiety that they will become sick; others have increased anxiety because their routine has been changed. Pray for breakthroughs in the patterns this anxiety causes, such as inability to leave the house, sadness/frustration/impatience (that they may or may not be able to express), and OCD.
- Pray for God’s protection over our friends as they often have compromised immune systems.
- Pray for the loneliness of our children and adults with special needs. They miss their friends & family, their church family, their teachers and classmates, and their co-workers.
- Pray for the increased strain on parents caring for family members with special needs. Pray for their self-care, as there is no respite for them right now. Parents have less chance for connecting with their friends, for rest, worship, and refueling their bodies, minds and souls.
- Pray for those caring for our members with special needs to retain their jobs and financial ability to provide what is needed.
- Pray for God’s guidance in staying connected with each other and continuing in friendship and ministry.
5: First floor, North Tower
Pampell Retreat Center at Round Top:
“Be still and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted on the earth.” Psalm 46:10
- Thank the Lord for those who have generously given of their time, talent and provision in providing the Pampell Retreat property.
- Pray that God would make His vision and master plan clear for us as we move forward in developing the retreat center.
- Pray that everyone who steps foot on the property would encounter God’s presence in whatever way they need. Pray that those who need salvation would come to faith in Him. Pray that those who need rest and peace would find it there. Pray that individuals, couples, families, D Groups, Connect Groups, wedding parties, camps, retreats and all who gather there will grow in their faith and be encouraged to walk with Christ.
- Pray that the retreat center would be a place that launches God’s dreams and visions for individuals that would result in building His Kingdom on earth.
- “Where God guides, God provides”. Pray that God will continue to provide the funds to complete the work of building the retreat center.
First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is being reported all over the world. God, whom I serve in my spirit in preaching the gospel of his Son, is my witness how constantly I remember you in my prayers at all times; and I pray that now at last by God’s will the way may be opened for me to come to you.
I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith. Romans 1:8-13
- Pray that our Connect Groups will continue to make relationships that extend past the Sunday hour.
- Praise God for those gifted with the ability to teach, direct, and administer each connect group. It is through this faithful preparation that the community gets to feast on the Word of God.
- Pray a Fear of God over those who will open up Scripture and teach. The lessons will be taught both through their words and also by how they live out their Christian walk. (James 3:1-2)
- Pray that God will give courage to the outsider or newcomer to find space to become an insider and part of who Tallowood Church is called to be.
- Stir within the heart of those members with deep connections to the church to create space for the newcomer and new believer.
Truett Seminary Houston Extension:
Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus…And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God. – Philippians 1:6, 9-11.
- Pray for the students at Truett to continue to seek God’s guidance as they navigate this exhilarating semester.
- Pray for students who work full time, have families, and then take classes, that they might balance their time well.
- Pray for students that work hard to meet their financial needs.
- Pray for supernatural protection over students and professors during this COVID season.
- Pray for the professors as they continue to seek some creative ways to teach during this strange season.
- Pray for the Dean, Dr. Todd Still, that he will continue to seek God’s guidance and wisdom. We are thankful for his great leadership.
- Pray for Truett Extensions: Truett in Houston, and Truett in San Antonio.
6: Entrance to the Music Suites area off of the Commons
“Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—His good, pleasing and perfect will.”
Romans 12: 1, 2
- That our mindset about worship will be one of sacrifice and not as consumers. “We need to view the place of worship as an altar instead of a filling station.” (Mike Harland)
- That our children and students will come to use what they are learning musically and scripturally for God’s glory and for the expansion of His kingdom.
- That Tallowood will continue to use our unique musical opportunities to reach our community for Christ.
- That those who use their gifts to lead us in worship will minister out of overflow, as lead-worshippers, as they sing and/or play instruments.
6: Entrance to the Commons area
“We will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord, His power and the wonders He has done.” Psalm 78:4
- Pray for the families of Tallowood, that they will be faithful to follow Christ, passing the gospel from generation to generation.
“These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you get up and when you lie down.” Deuteronomy 6:6-7
- Pray for moms and dads who have children from birth to high school graduates living in their homes, that they would be the primary faith trainers of their children.
- Pray that moms and dads would take advantage of “God moments” every day and make the most of every opportunity to have conversations about our great God.
“Be on the alert. Stand firm in the faith. Act like men. Be strong. Let all you do be done in love.” I Corinthians 16:13
- Pray for dads and granddads that they would be men of faith and live like Jesus in everything they do, parenting their children and grandchildren as God parents us.
“Be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power.” Ephesians 6:10
- Pray for moms and grandmothers to have spiritual, physical and emotional strength in these days as they love, nurture and provide for their children and grandchildren.
“And He gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ…” Ephesians 4:11-13
- Pray that we will stay attuned to the will of God and ways of Jesus by living lives of prayer. May prayer be the habit of our people and the culture of our fellowship. May it be our first and regular “go to.”
- Pray that the Lord and His will would be our compass and guide in all relationships and decisions.
- Pray that all generations and types of people in the church will have regular opportunities to grow closer to and more like Jesus: relationships, experiences, resources, events.
- Pray that we will become familiar and experienced with spiritual practices and disciplines the Lord has given us to help us abide in Him and grow in grace: the Bible, the Spirit, fellowship, spiritual disciplines.
- Pray that we as a congregation will grow from believing Christ to following Him in all things. That we will form daily habits of lifelong, lifestyle Christ-following disciple-making.
- Pray for a team of people who will pray for and invest in the spiritual formation of the flock.
Even as we walk into the room we think with the Psalmist “How lovely is your dwelling place, O Lord Almighty.” With Jacob who encountered God at Bethel we say, “Surely the presence of the Lord is in this place.” (Genesis 28:16-17) We come into a large, capacious room with a tall ceiling and remember that our God is great and greatly to be praised. We see the beautiful stories of the scriptures displayed in the windows around the room: the Old Testament, the Cross and empty tomb, the Gospels, and the Great Commission window showing us God’s hands reaching to the world.
- Pray that we will encounter God in this room as Isaiah did, in all of His holiness.
- Pray that our songs will recognize the immeasurably infinite worth of our God.
- Pray that we will be caught and caught up in adoration.
- Pray that we will experience the power of God’s Word speaking to each of us and all of us.
- Pray that we will be transformed more closely to Christ in this place as we worship.
- Pray that we will go out with a heart to share the Good News with all people.
Communications and Media Ministry:
“I pray that out of Hs glorious riches He may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.” Ephesians 3:16-21
- Pray that the message of God would be clearly communicated and understood.
- Pray that people’s hearts would be open to new and creative expressions of spiritual truths.
- Pray that technology would be seen as a tool that would reach a new generation with the hope of the gospel.
- Pray that we would explore new and creative avenues in reaching people.
- Pray that the message would be clear and that the delivery vehicle would be transparent, that the medium would be a vessel and not a distraction.
- Pray that technology would work seamlessly in our rooms.
- Pray that God will speak to those of us who are working.
“Therefore welcome one another as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of God.”
- Pray that those who visit Tallowood will know that they are noticed and wanted here.
- Pray for discernment and availability for those who come alongside of others to help them find their sense of place and belonging here.
- Pray that those who come will “taste and see that the Lord is good” as they experience Worship, Bible study and other situations and relationships at Tallowood.
- Pray that we will continue to have many participants in our monthly Membership Discovery Classes.
7: The Chapel
“Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord.” James 5:14
- Pray for funerals scheduled in the chapel.
- Pray for weddings scheduled in the chapel.
- Pray for Weekly Prayer Service every Wednesday night at 6 PM.
- Pray for the pastors leading in this prayer service.
Memorial City Hospital / Texas Medical Center, etc. (Stand outside, facing the northeast.)
“Those who trust in the LORD are like Mount Zion, which cannot be shaken but endures forever. As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the LORD surrounds His people both now and forevermore.” Psalm 125:1, 2
- Pray for members in the hospitals.
- Pray for the work of chaplains.
- Pray that ministers can begin visiting hospitals.
Tallowood Church offices
“Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.” Romans 12:15
- Pray for ministers’ meetings with families concerning funerals.
- Pray for our marriage preparation sessions.
Fireplace Room — GriefShare Ministry
“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.” 2 Corinthians 1:3, 4
- Pray for those leading this ministry.
- Pray for the individuals grieving the loss of a loved one.
The Pinnacle — Celebrate Recovery
- Pray for the leaders of this ministry.
- Pray for individuals dealing with hurts, hang-ups, and habits.
Fellowship Hall East—The Gathering Place
- Pray for the leaders and volunteers of this ministry.
- Pray for the individuals dealing with dementia.
- Pray for the families and caregivers of these individuals.
8: First floor, North Tower
Culinary, Housekeeping, Security, and Maintenance Staff:
“Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might.” Ecclesiastes 9:10
- Pray that these teams and work groups will bring out the best in each other and enjoy serving together.
- Pray for physical safety and good health.
- Pray that they know their value here and that they are encouraged in their service.
- Pray for their families to be blessed.
“Him we proclaim, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone mature in Christ.” Colossians 1:28
- Pray for ways to connect with campuses in Houston so that Tallowood might partner with campus ministries and be available for relationships with students.
- Pray for students who are currently involved in Tallowood’s College Ministry, that they might pursue Christ, build up one another, and serve together.
- Pray for Tallowood’s on-going discipleship of students who were raised at Tallowood and attend college elsewhere. Pray that these students will continue to grow in knowing and loving God and others.
- Pray for college students to form relationships of mutual blessing with other age groups in the church.
9: Entrances to the East Tower
“Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.” Philippians 2:3, 4
- Pray that our students would become more like Jesus as they grow in humility, love and faith.
- Pray that our students would seek and find ways to love and serve their families, friends, and neighbors.
- Pray that our students continue to grow in knowledge and obedience to God as they study his Word, engage in community and worship with their families.
- Pray that God will grant our Student Ministry volunteers endurance as they love and care for our students.
Internationals: East Tower on Wednesday mornings for ESOL classes.
Sunday mornings at the International Friends Bible study location.
Sundays in the narthex (Commons) after second service.
“For thus the Lord has commanded us, ‘I have placed you as a light to the Gentiles, that you should bring salvation to the end of the earth.’” Acts 13:47
- Pray that people of all nations feel a warm inclusion each time they appear at Tallowood.
- Pray that the truth of salvation through Jesus be clearly and lovingly related to everyone by everyone at Tallowood often.
- Pray for protection in health and political crisis for the families of our International friends back in their home country.
Arabic, Burmese, Chinese, Sudanese, and Hispanic congregations: East courtyard
“Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful; He will surely do it.” 1 Thessalonians 5:23, 24
- Pray for the Arabic Evangelical Baptist Church, the Greater Houston Burmese Baptist Church, the Sudanese Christian Church, and Tallowood Chinese Baptist Mission who meet at Tallowood that they will rapidly grow their congregations, and there will not be any barriers for their ministries’ advancement.
- Pray for their love for and service to God and others, for the Spirit’s leadership in their lives and ministries, for their families, for their groups.
- Arabic – Pastor Refat Fereg
- Burmese – Pastor Thong Lun
- Chinese – Pastor Jason Lee
- Sudanese – Pastor Yohannes Ajak
- Hispanic — Robert (Robert) Suarez
10: At exit points of the Church
- IDENTITY: Pray that everyone in our church realizes & practices our identity in Christ as “New Creations” AND “AMBASSADORS” to share the gospel of Christ & to expand His Kingdom to all peoples according to 2 Corinthians. 5:17-21.
- RELATIONSHIP MAP: Pray that everyone in our church will pray daily for 5 people in their individual lives who are far from God, & who the Holy Spirit places on their hearts – that they will hear the gospel, become near to God, and then reach the people in their lives with the gospel. In John 17:20 Jesus describes His practice of praying for those who are far from God.
- 10:02 Prayers for More Laborers: Pray that everyone in our church will set their phone alarms for 10:02 am or pm to pray daily, according to Jesus instructions in Luke 10:2 to pray for more laborers to be sent out. Pray daily at 10:02 that the Lord of the harvest will raise up workers who will share the gospel so that there is No Place Left in Houston that has not heard the gospel!
- Lights in Our Neighborhoods: Pray that everyone in our church will attend a Gospel Conversation Training to be equipped to confidently & competently begin gospel conversations, share the gospel, multiply disciples, and become lights in our neighborhoods who effectively pray, care, share the gospel, and disciple our nearby neighbors throughout Houston.
- Ongoing Digital Prayer Guides:
Tallowood Missions: Pray that Everyone in our church will use the missions section of our website as a prayer guide for TBC Missions, praying for the various missions mentioned on our website.
International Mission Board: Pray that People will use the IMB Prayer App and/or IMB Social Media to guide daily prayers for the nations.
9For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you.
We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will
through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives,
10so that you may live a life worthy of the LORD and please him in every way:
bearing fruit in every good work,
growing in the knowledge of God…
Colossians 1:9, 10