General Information and Policies
Attendance Policies for Private Lessons
- Private lessons consist of a fixed number of lessons per semester for which the student pays for in advance. The final lesson may be a performance.
- Students who are 10 minutes (or more) late for their lesson will be considered to have forfeited their lesson. This will be considered an unexcused absence and the instructor is under no obligation to make it up. If running close to lesson time, please call the Administration Office while in transit. Communication is of the utmost importance.
- If a student wishes to discontinue lessons, a 30-day written notice will be required. The student will be financially responsible for the lessons that occur during those 30 days from the date notice is given, whether or not the student chooses to attend the lessons. A refund will be given for the remainder of lessons that occur after the 30 days if previously paid for. The registration fee is non-refundable.
Make-up Lessons Policies for Private Lessons
- One make-up lesson will be granted the student each semester for an excused absence. An excused absence is a lesson missed due to illness, extreme emergency or death in the family and the instructor is given notice by email or phone call. Notice should be given at least 24 hours in advance. Excused absences include student illness, extreme emergency, and death in the family. If you are unable to contact the teacher, contact the Academy Director at 832.320.8123.
- Any lessons missed and rescheduled, excluding the one allotted makeup lesson, will be at the discretion of the teacher.
- Unexcused student absences will not be refunded or made up by the teacher. They consist of, but are not limited to: forgetting the lesson, choosing to do another activity during the scheduled lesson time, and un-notified absences.
- If a student is late, the teacher is not under obligation to extend the lesson. If the teacher is late, the teacher must either extend the lesson time or re-schedule the lost time.
- Lessons will not be made up if they are missed or denied due to late payment. Students are responsible for paying for all lessons regardless of student or instructor attendance. Lessons not completed by the end of the semester due to teacher absence will be credited to the student.
- If a lesson is canceled or forfeited by the student for any reason, the instructor may then schedule another lesson in the absentee time slot. The instructor is under no obligation to notify the parent or student who forfeits the lesson of the substitution. If the original student’s schedule changes and they are able to attend the canceled lesson, it is subject to the instructor’s schedule.
- If the school has to close due to weather or church-wide closure event, the lesson will be made up at no additional cost to the student.
Attendance Policies for Group Lessons/Classes
- These classes consist of a fixed number of classes per semester for which the student pays in advance. Because of the nature of the group class environment, we will not be able to issue refunds or reimbursements for missed lessons (excused or unexcused). We are not able to schedule make-up lessons for individuals for any reason.
- If the teacher is to be absent on any given class day, the class will be notified ahead of time. This class will then be made up at no additional cost to the student.
- If the school has to close due to weather or church-wide closure event, the class will be made up at no additional cost to the student.
Make-up Lessons Policies for Group Lessons
- Group class lessons consist of a fixed schedule for which the student pays in advance.
- No refund will be given for student-initiated missed classes or for withdrawal.
- Instructor-initiated missed classes will be rescheduled. If that is not possible, the student will be credited the appropriate amount.
At the Tallowood Academy of Fine Arts, we consider recital performance an essential element in the refining of our talent. The recital is also an opportunity for friends and family to celebrate what the students have learned, and it’s an affirming time for the students themselves. For these reasons, we consider the recital a requirement for the overall artistic experience. The student will come prepared to perform a specific piece assigned by their teacher, usually from memory. The recital can be considered the last lesson of the semester. We also will feature faculty in recitals periodically.
Regular practice is an essential element in refining our musical/artistic talents. In order to receive the full benefit of instruction, the student is expected to practice daily the same amount as the lesson time. If a student has a 30-minute lesson, then they should practice a minimum of 30 minutes each day and a 60-minute lesson should practice a minimum of 60 minutes a day.
Practice Hints for Parents:
- Sit down with your child and look at his/her schedule. Choose a set time every day for practice. Insist that this practice time be honored.
- Provide a practice setting free of distractions such as TV, phone, personal electronics, or interruptions from siblings.
- Check your child’s assignment sheet at the beginning of the week to see the teacher’s comments and assignments for the week.
- Check on your child’s progress throughout the week. Make sure he/she has accurately recorded the amount of practice time each day.
- Make sure your child finishes any written assignments and is prepared for each lesson/class.
- Teachers will make practice recommendations based on the individual student’s needs.
In case of inclement weather, visit the Academy of Fine Arts page or call the office at 832.320.8123. You should also check with your instructor.
The Academy of Fine Arts follows the inclement weather policy of Spring Branch ISD. Please listen to local TV and radio broadcasts for information about closings. When bad weather develops during the afternoon, the Academy of Fine Arts reserves the right to cancel classes for the remainder of the day. Please call the Academy of Fine Arts at 832.320.8123 for cancellation notices or to determine whether a decision to close the building was made during the day.
Your child’s safety is our priority. Please adhere to all policies and procedures to insure a safe environment.
No child under the age of 12 (whether student or sibling) may be left without adult supervision in the hallways or other areas of Tallowood Baptist Church.
Students under the age of 12 must be dropped off and picked up at the lesson room by an adult or authorized sibling over the age of 16. Students 12 and over can be released if an authorization form is completed.
The teacher will have an attendance sheet that the student is expected to sign at each lesson. For security reasons, if a student is late for any reason without notification, the school administrator or teacher may call the parent to verify the child’s whereabouts.
Parents and children may wait quietly in the assigned area while their child is taking a lesson. Parents of students under 16 years old who are taking private lessons can choose to attend the lesson or sit just outside the door of the room for the duration of the lesson, at the teacher’s discretion.
All teachers will have completed a background and security check.
Please feel free to discuss with your instructor any difficulties that you or your student might be experiencing with lessons. If you feel the situation is not being properly addressed, please contact Debbie Barker, the Academy of Fine Arts administrator, at 832.320.8123 immediately. If possible, put your concerns in writing. The Academy of Fine Arts is dedicated to making sure your student has a quality and rewarding experience.
Small Class Size Policy
In order to hold group classes, we must meet a minimum number of students. Most schools would cancel classes that do not meet their minimum. Because we value the ability to provide classes and continue a student’s education, we have developed the following alternative to canceling class.
Class/Lesson Cancellation Policy
If at any time prior to the 5th lesson of the semester you are not satisfied with our school, we will refund all prepaid remaining tuition for those lessons not taken. You must notify the school in writing or by phone before the 5th class in order to get the refund.
The Academy reserves the right to use photos and videos taken in classes and at school events for promotional materials, unless otherwise denial is put in writing upon registration.